Sunday, November 8, 2009

Holy Cow!!

I have heard from one and all that I have not just slacked, but I have in fact left all of you hanging.  I am so flattered that my life's musing have entertained you all so much.  I am hoping to get back on the writing horse here and get you all caught up in the goings on here.  Have I mentioned that for such a small locale and population, it is incredibly busy here? 

Okay, first things first.  Kids update.  Madie:  Our oldest in now a cheerleader.  That is right my friends we have a cheerleader among us.  Does she cheer at any sport in particular.  Heck NO where do you think we are, the US.  Nope here, our cheerleaders are a comodity.  They are by invitaion only cheerleaders.  What is that you may ask.  quite simply it means that she will cheer only at the tree lighting ceremony at the NEX Atrium and at a parade.  Pretty pathetic if you were to ask me last week.  This week however, is a different story.  Apparently the cheer coaches of years past, well let's just say they seriously lacked knowledge, drive or a desire to really teach the girls anything.  But seriously what can you do.  You have to take what you can get here on base.  Not like the Army is asking soldiers that have experiance in cheer to come on down to Gtmo to teach the girls cheer.  But this year we have among our ranks eight professional cheerleaders.  That's right my firends.  PROFESSIONAL CHEERLEADERS!! Six of the eight are actually active duty so that terrified some of the parents.  See, we have huge turnover here.  If you work for the JTF (that means the prisons) then usually you come here unaccompamied and for only six months at a time.  BUT, and this is the big BUT, if you come here with your family, you are here for at least two years.  All but two of our cheer coaches are here for two years.  YIPPEE.  I know seems crazy, but this is big news.  The coaches are treating the cheer squad like it is an actual cheer squad.  That means the matching warm up and work out outifits, matching cheer suits and bloomers, practices twice a week at least.  This was supposed to be a six week camp, but since we have eight ladies that want to send our girls back to the states with real knowledge of cheer and how it works in the real world, it has been extended.  So, if Miss Madie continues to love it as much as she is right now, I may be in big trouble back in the US.  Cheer is expensive back home.  Apparently our $70 investment in the states would equal about $1500.  So, while I am glad Madie has found something she loves, I hope we have enought cash when we get back to the US to support it....Picutres of her will come soon...

Adam:  Oh my Adam.  I just love this little dude so much.  He is just as skinny as ever, but he is getting soo tall.  He looks the same as he did in his two year pictures, I know this becuase we just looked at them, only he is taller and his smile is a but brighter.  Not much to report on him.  He is part of CHaracter Counts at school.  Apparetnly DoD schools have the six pillars of good character.  Adam has learned about Honesty, Trustworthiness.  He is in a play that his club will preform in front of the school this week I belive.  He is loving CCD (Sunday School).  They too are learning about being good soliders of Christ and the benefit of being honest and trustworthy.  He is our concience here in this house.  He is forever asking ALL of us, if we think God would like our actions.  I think he may end up a priest after all.  But, I have to say, his attitude is amazing with his friends.  He is the first to check and make sure someone is okay if they get hurt and he makes sure everyone gets to play.  No leaving anyone out on his watch.  He stands up for the underdog almost all the time.  Again I am amazed by his heart and love.

And then there is Maegan: My dear baby.  She and I are butting heads right now.  She is experimenting with lies, sneakiness and the constant need to eat.  Growing much??  We have gone round and round with the lying issue.  I am so tired of trying to teach this child not to lie.  For some reason, she just doesn't care...I will get to the bottom of it, just don't know when.  She is bored to tears at the shop now.  I am trying to come up with things for her to do, but the reality is, she is getting to the point where being by herself is making her nuts, and selfish.  I can't wait for her to start school, nor can she.  I would love to do it now, but the money, just stupid.  So instead we work on her letters and numbers at the shop and she plays with the kids after school.  She is my struggle right now, course by next week it will be one of the others.

As for Alan, well he works.  Right now he is busy decorating our house.  He has been going great guns for the last two days and it is really starting to look good here.  Those pictures will be posted as soon as he gets things mostly finished.  We have a deadline of Nov 21.  Madie is having a luau party for her birthday, complete with about thirty guests.  So, we are husteling to get the house decorated.  Or at least close to decorated.  We are also inviting Alan's pharmacy and some of his collueges to Thanksgiving dinner here.  There are about ten people that work around him that are here unaccompanied.  So we are opening our home to them.

As for me....where to begin.  Work has actually been very good lately.  I am making tons of friends out of the TCNs (third country nationals).  They are made up of mostly Filipinos, Jamacians and some Cubans.  The lady who worked before me made it sound like this group of people where the bane of her exsistance.  But I am telling you, they are wonderful.  Kind, genrous and good sources of information.  I have my regulars who come in and visit everyday and then some who only come in once a week.  I just love them all. 
After work comes everything else.  I swear, I haven't been this active in real life outside of my family since college.  This week I stopped by the open parish council meeting, got roped in.  I now am helping with the decorating of the church for the holidays and helping get the kids ready for the Christmas Pagent.  I am organizing the bowling night for the schools, that will be done by next week and well, lets just say I am one busy lady.  Which reminds me, if any of you out there have any ideas on a good dip, my cooking club is having a Dip It night on the 23rd.  I want to make something different.  I imagine crab, artichoke and guacamole will all be present.  I want something different and unique.  Course I need to be able to find all the ingriedants here on the island. 

Okay, so the next time I blog I will tell you all about my frustrations and joys of living on an island....Until then, I send you all my love

OOOHHH POOP!!  I am just looking at this and I know that I have about twenty thousand spelling mistakes and I can't find spell check, yikes.  SO no making fun of the dyslexic spelling chanllenged, got it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment