Thursday, January 21, 2010

Haitian evacuees and other such info

We finally got some sort of official word yesterday.  Since the quake last Tuesday we islanders have just been hearing and passing along the rumors.  But finally this Tuesday the CO of the base, Capt Blaisdell got on our local radio station and did a Q&A session.  Then they posted some info on our roller channel on the TV, the roller is like the newspaper as we don't have one...Anyway, as of right now we have no Haitians on base.  We had UN and American's come in for medical treatment the first few days after the quake, but since then nothing.  That doesn't mean NAVSTA GTMO hasn't been busy.  The hospital is gearing up for thousands of Haitians.  The hospital has converted their ER into an ICU and the ER is now out in tents.  They have flown in extra help as well.  Alan ordered enough drugs for 10000 people and they are converting the office space in the pharmacy to store meds.  They are also in the process of adding people to Alan's office so that other offices can be converted.  As for the rest of the base..We have an old airport here on the Winward side of the base.  There are two sides to the base, Winward ( the side we live on) and Leeward.  There are a few residents on the Leeward side, but for the most part all base activities happen on the Winward side.  The Leeward side has the airport.  Anyway, we have an old airport here on the Winward side as well as a huge complex that isn't being used at the time.  So for now that whole area has been closed off to the residents, in order to put Haitians there if the Leeward side gets too many.  However, most of the tents and supplies are over at the Leeward side of the base.  The only thing that has really affected the residents is the cancellation of all visitors for the forseable future and they closed our favorite beaches.  Girl Scout and Glass Beach are now off limits.  I will have to go snorkleing in order to get sea glass now....Small price to pay to help so many.

So that is the update on the base goings on.  There are not plans to evacuate us any time soon.  Heck we don't even have any Haitians yet, so.....

As for other news.  I am leaving Treasures and Trivia.  My last day is Feb 15th.  It is a bitter sweet end really.  I loved working there for two reasons.  First it gave me a great opprotunity to meet new people and two Maegan made a ton of friends.  But alas, Momma needs more money, so I am hoping to babysit and/or sub at the school.  We shall see what happens. 

I am leaving the island sometime next week.   The down side, Maegan has to stay on island.  I am being medivaced out,I am getting an MRI as well as my post sugery check up. Since I will be a confirmed seat, and Maegan would be going as a non-paid seat, the chances of her getting on the plane are slim.  If the quake hadn't hit, then it wouldn't be a problem, but all available seats are being used, so...I have some wonderful girlfriends here and two or three of them have offered to shuttle Maegan around next week for me.  Which means I get to go to VA, and be with my Peyton all by myself.  YIPPEE...I have shopping to do, appointments to go to and chit chat to catch up on.  I am so flippin' excited.  Nervous too, I haven't ever left Maegan for this long.  I know, I know she is four, but Lord you know how long it took me to leave Madie and Adam.  I will be worried about the family the entire time I am gone....and with the earth moving the way it has been, what if I can't get back to my family???  Yeah I have to stop going down that road or I will never get on the plane...

The kids are doing great.  Madie has now spent the night at another friends house.  That makes two times she has had sleepovers.  She has gotten so sure of herself...Adam is, well Adam.  He is still dirty all the time and he is turning into such a BOY.  Just two days ago Maegan found a lizard in the bathroom and instead of calling on Dad, who was laying in bed by the way, she yelled for Adam.  Adam came into the bathroom, scooped up the little dying lizard and ushered it outside.  Course the damn thing died and ants ate it within minutes, but he tried to rescue the lizard.  Go boy go.

So that is it for now. I am missing the family somthing fierce.  I just read Llaurel's blog.  I love that girl.  She is too much.  Too cute, too sweet, too MUCH!!  Jesse, well shoot I have no clue on.  I know he was starting P90X, which Alan has started again, and he is headed to school somewhere and lets see he graduates soon.  I know nothing about this boy...And there is Chy.  I have been praying like crazy for Chy and her job situations, but we don't talk like we used to.  Who coould, heck it costs a ton to talk to each other.  As for mom and Randy.  Well quite frankly I just want to be with them.  And my Dad hasn't been hinting enough that he misses us and would love to visit with us as well.  Lord I love Gtmo, but I miss the ability to just get in a car and drive to family...

Okay until later I send you all my love

No comments:

Post a Comment