Saturday, January 2, 2010

Some pics

A few pictures of our little one right before the Christmas Pagent










And here are some pics of what I did on New Year's Eve.  I was invited to go snorkeling for the first time.  I had a great time and can't wait to go out again.  This first picture is what I usually find on the beaches.  The sea glass we have here is mostly browns, greens and clear.  We can usually find some small shells, nothing huge.



Blue sea glass and larger shells are rarer.  Not an impossiblity to find mind you, just rare.  For example jewlery made with blue sea glass will cost you about double what other colors will.  On New Year's Eve I did find some blues, nothing too big.  But I did find the mother of all reds.  Red and Black sea glass is the rarest, at least around here.  There are many ladies here who haven't found any red the entire time they were here.  I never expected to find any.  But I did.  The best part, I had no glasses on.  For those who don't know I can NOT see without my glasses on at all.  I can see blobs of color, but in order to actually see something I have to have it no further from my face than five inches.  So while we were snorkeling the girls would watch for jelly fish and lead me to where I needed to go, because I couldn't see.
So at one point we swam up to a small beachy area and Kristene was sitting in the rocks digging for glass.  It took me a good five minutes to get to where she was.  I had to get my fins off and then make my way up to her.  When I got there, I looked down and saw some red.  I thought it must have been a rock since Kristene wasn't bothering with it.  It was right between her two feet.  So I bent over and picked it up thinking that I could use the rock since the red was so briliant.  What I picked up was NOT a rock.  What it was was a gigantic piece of red sea glass.  It is huge.  Worth somewhere around $400-$500.  I was screaming, Kristene was screaming and then Chris, our other friend made it over to us, and she screamed.  An amazing find....
 

This is the piece next to greens I usually find.  You can tell how much bigger the red is.


Kristene makes sun catchers, ornaments and jewlery with the sea glass she finds and then sells it at the craft fairs.  She suggested I make a sun catcher out of it.  Chris however thinks I should get Rebecca, our jewlery maker friend to make me a necklace out of it.  Now I must say as far as jewlery is concerned, Rebecca is a class act.  She makes the most beautiful jewlery I have seen.  So what to do with it is the question. 
News of my find has traveled fast and I have been called a lot of names, all in good fun of course....My favorite being the "Red B####"  Everyone is jealous in that nice kinda way, at least none of the comments hold malice...
So I just thought I would share my finds with you.  I send you all my love

No comments:

Post a Comment