Sunday, September 13, 2009





I posted these pictures the family took last Dec for calendars, because I have heard from both sisters about how much they miss me, and quite frankly I am missing them and ALL of the families I call my own.

Today has been a hard day for me. In VaBeach we found a church that we just absolutely loved. The people there opened their arms to us and the priests were some of the best liturgist I have ever had the pleasure to listen to. Today we went to church for the first time and while the church building is exactly what a small Caribbean naval base church should look like, the priest and music were so blah. I know I shouldn't let that damped my mood, but lets face it. Attending mass when the priest is monotone and obviously not having a good time, well it just makes going to church a duty rather than a celebration of Christ and church. I was in quite a funk before mass, but mass sure didn't brighten my heavy heart. That said I did get the kids signed up for CCD, Madie will be learning about First Communion, which she will not do here. She refuses to have her first communion with out her godmothers, grandparents, aunts and uncle present. So she is simply learning about it. The other two are enrolled as well. As I was enrolling the kids I got roped into teaching the one and only eighth grader confirmation. Yep, they confirm here at eighth grade not senior high. Alan got roped into facilitating RCIA. SO we are at least getting involved, maybe that will make us more excited to go to mass.

Okay so my heart is aching, not because of mass, I mean it didn't help any, but it isn't the reason. I am SAD. I miss the real world so much. I have made a few connections with some ladies and I am sure I will make some good friends soon, but I want to be able to go. I want people to call me, because I suck at making the phone calls, and really I just am lonely, PMS-ing, and missing my family and friends. We have had so much going on, and yet I just can't seem to get out of my funk. I am blaming it on the hormones for now, but we shall see.

The last few days have been crazy. Friday we had a ton going on, I already posted all that, but then Sat we had our first girl scout Brownie meeting. Madie had a ball. There are three girls from her class in Brownies. For me, I met a terrific lady named Gail whose husband is a civilian DoD firefighter. She seems the most down to earth here, and she isn't part of the military so she and I have a lot in common. But while I was sitting there talking to the coordinator it became clear that the Brownies need another leader, as one is leaving in Nov. So of course I am now a Brownie Scout leader, the only Le Leche League leader on island, an eighth grade confirmation teacher, a HSO member(hospital support organization) and everything else. See I really am trying to meet people and get involved. Anyway, we had Brownies then Alan and I had a "wetting-down" party to go to. A "wetting-down" which is now not sanctioned by the Navy is a tradition where a sailor who has made a new rank gets hazed. This "wetting-down" was for a LTCDR making Captain, and was a huge party thrown by the new captain to honor her new rank. Apparently the unspoken rule is that as the honoree you have to provide food, and alcohol for everyone, and the amount of alcohol purchased needs to equal the difference between your old pay and the new pay, for a month. Crazy! At any rate we went and met some new folks. A huge turn over happens during the summer so alot of us our new. We had a bit of fun.

It just seems like we have been so busy and are getting busier. Adam starts soccer Tues and his games are on Sat. He is so excited, and I am hoping that some of his friends are on the soccer team as well.

Also, I had an interview with the Child Development Center(CDC) director. They need shift homes, homes that are open to kids from 6pm to 6am. I would get paid whether we had kids in the home or not. The draw back is that I will need to be here in the home everyday from 6-6. I can transport the kids, but you all saw our GTMO special, no more can fit. And with all the other commitments I have made it would make it quite difficult to still be a part of that. I could be a CDC house during the day, but it gets no special incentives, such as getting paid when I don't have any kids. The other thing I am battling in my head is this:

As a family we have been looking forward to having this time together in Cuba. One of the reasons for joining the Navy was so that Alan would have better hours and we could be a family. We haven't been able to do that until getting here. For the first time since leaving Texas we really are eating dinner together every night, getting dishes done after we eat, doing bath time, reading stories at bedtime, playing games with each other, exploring together. TOGETHER. We haven't had that ever and so giving that up isn't something I really want to do. On the other hand, it will be more than tight around here if I don't figure out a job soon. I do have all kinds of ideas for the craft fairs, such as selling salsa and pico de gallo, selling purses, and making mosaics out of sea glass. But will those crafty things actually make us money, and if they do, will it be enough to bypass me getting a "real" job??? Another prayerful day....

So now I am sitting here pouring all my worries and sorrows to you fine folk. So sorry you are subjected to my moods, but seriously following a blog written by me, you surely knew that my moods would come flowing out sometime, right??? I send you all my love...

No comments:

Post a Comment