Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Parenting Milestones

Today I have become a true parent. The three C-sections, seven years of breastfeeding, even trips to the ER in no way made me a parent. Today I told my kids to get up and do the dishes. Yep, I have finally made it. I not only told my kids to do the dishes, I did the unforgivable. I told them the "when I was your age" story. I was not only channeling Mom and Dad, I was channeling my Irish heritage and telling a good loooonggg sob story about how much worse it was for me and Chy. The story involved burning hot sudsy water and repeat washings when things weren't up to Randy's standards. And my favorite: Cheyenne. How she always got out of doing the damn dishes with one thing or another and how I was suffering so greatly to have to submerge my delicate hands into water only sadist could stand. I had them staring at me with bug eyes my friends. Then I sent them off to do the job that all people hate. I sat on my well rounded rump and enjoyed finally becoming a parent. I even thought about pouring a glass of wine to celebrate, but I figured that would push them over the edge. I'll save that for when I have to channel Mom and Dad and make the three of them live in the laundry room for fighting. OOh then I will celebrate not only being a parent but being a damn smart one to boot. XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment