Tuesday, September 15, 2009

So it is only the third Tuesday of the school year and already we are booked...
Alan and I went to the PTO (parent teacher organization) meeting last night. Holy Cow. I volunteered last year at the kid's school, but I was never involved in the background, but I figured if I want to be a part of something I might as well go all the way right. So I met a ton of moms, no dads, Alan was the only one. Anyway I met a ton of moms and got a chance to see what the school is planning for the year. One incredible thing they are doing this year is having a circus group come in and teach the kids. Apparently this group of guys make a living by going to schools and during the kids PE classes they teach the kids how to juggle, spin plates, devil sticks, diablos and acrobatics. They start the week off by doing a performance for the school, and for the troops, then they spend the week teaching all the kids how to do these things, and then the kids put on their own show at the end of the week. I really can't believe that a DoD school is willing to pay these people to come teach our kids how to be circus performers. I guess it is the military fall back plan, hahha..
Okay so the kids were out of school yesterday and can I tell you, Adam....My sweet baby boy Adam. He was gone all day. Literally all day. I saw him for breakfast, he came in for a whole ten minutes to swallow his lunch and then I saw him again right before we left for the meeting. OH MY. We were a bit late to the meeting so that I could scrub Adam's face and hands. That was all we had time for, but can I tell you. DIRT. There was black dirt all over this boy. His pants were tan, BLACK. His shirt that was blue, BLACK. His knees, BLACK.....I tell you I haven't seen him so dirty ever. It was like looking at Mike Rowe on Dirt Jobs. He was a mess. When we finally got back from the meeting and got him in the shower the water was black. And still I didn't get all the black off his knees or elbows, and I scrubbed... Needless to say the boy is having the time of his life.
It also looks like I have a job. It isn't the best paying one out there, but I think it is the best for our needs. I will be the manager at the Treasures and Trivia store. It is the second hand store for the base, which means it can get pretty busy. There are a few reasons why I chose this over the day care thing. The store will let me bring Maegan, I can set the store hours, I get an employee discount, and I get first dibs on all the stuff that comes in. The child care gig sounded very appealing. But I thought I better do some research on why no one wanted the job before I took it. And after talking to about ten moms I discovered that not only is there a ton of paper work, but the work itself is very disruptive of family life. All the reservations I had about becoming a child development home were well founded. In fact I talked to three moms who had in fact started doing the CDH thing and quit after the first month. So while the store doesn't pay huge, it will at least be enough for me to pay for our groceries for the month, and that way Alan's entire pay check can go to paying bills. We are hoping to be debt free by the time we leave the island. We shall see though....
I think that is it for now. I know there were other things I was planning on blogging, but Lord knows the thoughts fly out just as quick as they fly in. I am off to read to Adam's class. Yippee. Finally I get to do something with the kids. I send you all my love....

1 comment:

  1. I don't think he is leaving the island itself, as he still won't put his head under the water. But I wouldn't put it past him to be crossing the fence line into Cuba. I am waiting for the day when the "van" pulls up outside with him tied up and blind folded, that is apparently what they do when you screw up and venture too close to the fence...

    ReplyDelete